Root Canal Therapy
When Root Canals Are Needed
While we’re diligent about preventing serious dental problems, occasionally, an infected tooth must be rescued with root canal therapy.
Here’s when root canal therapy may be the right choice:
- A cavity has reached the soft inner tissue
- A tooth is infected or abscessed
- Impact injury has fractured or damaged a tooth
- A tooth was knocked out and replaced in its socket
- A tooth is dead or dying and discolored
How Root Canals Work
The procedure starts by opening the top of the tooth and cleaning out the nerve and other soft tissue inside the tooth. It is then sterilized and medicated to prevent further infection. Sterile material is used to fill the opening and it is closed up with a filling. We always recommend a crown be placed over the treated tooth to preserve it for years to come.
Keep Your Teeth
With regular dental care, a tooth with a properly done root canal by Dr. Mike can last for many decades.